Monday, May 11, 2009

We Did It!!

I did something on Saturday that I never thought I could do. I participated in my first 5k. I have to say that I had a lot of fun and it felt awesome to cross the finish line. I ran a little and walked fast the rest and was excited about my time as I finished faster than the goal I'd set.

Jon's Run & Stroll was held at Brackenridge Park and started shortly after a memorial balloon release by those who have lost children or been touched by the loss of a child to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). There were a lot of teams in matching shirts with info or pics of a child who had passed away due to SIDS. It was fun for me to see so many groups of people come together in memory of someone they loved. I also loved to see the young kids participating in the race with their parents.

Saturday was also Birth Mother's Day (the day prior to Mother's Day) and so I thought about our sweet birth mother as I had my thoughts to myself while I worked my way through the course. How blessed my life has been because of her unselfishness and love!!

I have been motivated all spring by my awesome friends. Check out the before and after pics of us below. I'm looking forward to the next time - though it's probably going to be a few months since it's getting too hot here :-))


Before



After - We Did It!!

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Good job Nell! Thats awesome that you got to do it with friends and for such a neat cause. P.S. You guys don't even look tired in your "after" shot!

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura said...

Way to go Nell!!

Travis and Sherise said...

Way to go Nell - i didn't know you were doing a 5K! Looks like fun, but I hope it wasn't too hot. I'm not sure i'll survive the summer - it was 95 degrees yesterday and it's only May! Miss you already, we'll have to get together again soon!

charlotte said...

Great job Nell!

Nell and Jeff said...

This is a test of a new setting.

Nell and Jeff said...

2nd test of new setting.